Friday 4 March 2011

CCW Film Programme Film Review

Film Review
‘Une Femme est une Femme’
‘The Long Goodbye’
The two films, however similar the basic plot is, juxtapose each other dramatically. I found watching ‘The Long Goodbye’ quite a task, the slow pace and monotonous beginning gave the film no lift or spark for me. The storyline seemed a regular ‘tragedy’ similar to ‘Une Femme est une Femme’, however ‘Une Femme est une Femme’, was a much faster moving, attention grabbing film. ‘Une Femme est une Femme’ had a major element of humour; the comic attitude of the main character Angela lifted the storyline. Almost making the tragic fact that her boyfriend doesn’t want a baby with her, seem ‘a joke’ or a humorous event. 
The Director Jean-Luc Godard clearly wanted to question the seriousness of the situation. The book shelf scene at night significantly reflected obvious feelings of immaturity and playfulness. The characters were seen to be ‘not speaking’ however underneath it was obvious they were actually enjoying their ‘strop’. The clever yet meticulous task of speaking through titles and words written in books reflected the characters stubborn and persistent attitudes. Almost a subconscious or indirect link to their individual feelings about the argument.
A recent exhibition I went to see, ‘The Shadow Catchers’ at the V&A exhibiting different artists ‘camera less photography’ I think distantly links to the emotions felt throughout ‘The Long Goodbye’. The films’ beginning has a calm and almost dull feel to it, almost waiting for the expected. The main character Philip Marlowe has a mundane task of feeding his hungry cat; the film doesn’t start with much of a bite. Similarly Susan Derges’ work is fairly insipid and characterless. However, likewise to the film as you look further or watch more, the work begins to draw you in, the interest increases and you begin to understand and appreciate it more. 
Vincent Canby from the New York Times reviewed ‘The Long Goodbye’ and said ‘Altman attempts the impossible and pulls it off’. I’m not sure I completely agree with this, the film didn’t capture me as well as ‘Une Femme est une Femme’.  Although I did find the main character Philip Marlowe watchable, he did become too regular and almost a little bit boring. His monotone American accent was far too standard and I began switching off. Whereas on the other hand I noticed ‘Une Femme est une femme’ had the ability to hold my attention. I found Angela the character a humorous and an addiction to watch.
All in all, I do feel ‘Une Femme est une femme’ holds a more interesting and faster moving picture. Even though it bares a very similar tragic style plot, both films could not be more different. I thoroughly enjoyed the CCW Film programme; it has opened up my mind to the different worlds and eras of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment